26/06/2017

FINISHING UNI | LIFESTYLE

MY FIRST YEAR AT UNI...

When I think about my first year of uni, I instantly think about how quickly it has gone...I just can't believe it! People are right when they tell you ''it will fly by'' because it literally has! It's been an exciting year, filled with lots of big steps and exciting things, new people and happy memories, a long with some sad and upsetting situations, but those that I wouldn't change because they've made me who I am today. 

I want this post to be helpful to those of you starting university in September 2017, or even relatable to those of you who are already at uni and have experienced similar things to me because it's bound to happen, right? ALL of us are in the same boat when we move to uni; moving away from family and loved ones, whether its 10 minutes down the road or 100 miles away. We all have to deal with the same 'struggles' that occur, I mean, we have to do our own dishes, clothes washing and cleaning, OH, and lets not forget food shopping! 

Now, I don't want to sound like I was a lazy child living at home because I wasn't, but when we move away it all seems more real and it feels like we have one hundred more things to do than we did at home, right? 

We are expected to study, read and write in our own time, re-read/ rewrite notes, AS WELL AS cook our own dinner and wash the dishes afterwards. Talk about PRESSURE? 

But how else would you do it? 

YES, uni life comes with pressures, late nights and a never ending to-do list, BUT it also comes with exciting opportunities, new adventures, new studies and life long friends that you wouldn't meet in the comfort of your home town. 




First day at UCA

SO just keep reading to find out my Top 5 Uni Tips, my good and bad experiences, and what I have learnt since starting UCA in September 2016.



TOP 5 UNI TIPS
(not in any specific order)

1. BE CONFIDENT 

I think this may actually be the most important tip I would give to people starting uni because it is so important to put yourself out there. I know some people are shy and thats perfectly fine, I'm quiet when I'm out of my comfort zone and surrounded by new, unfamiliar people, but that's fine because the people you're around will be feeling exactly the same. ''Putting yourself out there'' doesn't mean you have to be loud, boastful, full of yourself and annoying because people are less likely to be interested in you then (to be brutally honest), I just mean be smiley, friendly and confident within yourself enough to talk to others as this will enable you to meet new people.

Likewise, its so SO important to be confident in your work when you start uni because if you let your worries get in the way of your work, especially in your first year it can give off the impressions that you may not want your lecturers to see. I speak from experience because when I joined uni I was so SO worried about being the worst in the class. I had that much doubt in myself; I felt like I wouldn't be able to do the work, I would be worse than everyone else and I just felt super negatively about how my work may look in comparison to everyone else's. 

BUT THAT HASN'T HAPPENED TO ME, SO I KNOW IT WON'T HAPPEN TO YOU EITHER HUNS! 

So just be confident and happy within yourself so that you can make the best first impression, both on your new friends and your lecturers so they all know how good you really are right from the get-go. 

2. BE FRIENDLY

This might sound a bit obvious, but it is important to be as friendly as you can to the people you meet in your first days at uni because, lets be honest, you're going to be spending the next three years with these people so it's important to keep everyone on your 'good side' whether you're really close friends or you just say ''hey'' in the street! Don't spend your first year making enemies. ALSO be friendly with your lecturers, I'm not saying you have to become 'teachers pet' but you're an adult and they're there to help you as well as teach you so it's nice to be nice to everyone, isn't it?

3. BE OPEN-MINDED

This is super important at university, more so about your work than friends (although still important with friends, but I'll get to that), as you're MORE THAN likely to have constructive criticism from lecturers about your work so basically, you must be able to accept it. I guess this is pretty obvious and is something that most of us would have experienced throughout school and college, but it is always good to accept and learn from criticism so that you don't make the same mistakes again.

I also think this is important when you meet new people because you're obviously likely to have different thoughts and feelings about topics, and I would never say that you shouldn't speak your mind, but I also believe that some things are best left unsaid so if someone believes in something and you don't for whatever reason, it may not be worth saying that you do not believe in it too as it could escalate into something unnecessary. 

4. BE OPTIMISTIC

This may be similar to 'confident', but I just think that everyone starting uni should be optimistic because lets face it, everyone is in the same boat and not a lot of people are likely to have any more experience in your study than you do, so you will all have the same amount of knowledge so be happy, excited and confident about yourself and your work. 

5. ENJOY YOURSELF  
Social life is a BIG part of uni and I think most people that go to uni would agree with me - it is really important to enjoy yourself and socialise with your peers because this will make your whole uni experience SO much better! Life, Freshers Week is something we all think about when we think of going to uni, isn't it? 

...I'LL BE HONEST...

Epsom did not have the best freshers week AT ALL, and nor does it have the best night clubs in the area, but Kingston is only around the corner and thats a great night out, obviously London is not far away at all, but if I have to be honest with you...Fever is good enough for a night out in Epsom! So don't knock it before you try it! I am not recommending you priorities your social life over the uni and it's facilities/ activities when you're looking for universities, but when you get to the uni and, lets say it doesn't have the best night life, don't knock it because if you're with your friends you're likely to have a great night no matter what, right?

I also wanted to share with you the 'good things' that I have experienced being at uni, and then below that will be the 'bad things' that I have also experienced...just to give you a rough idea of things, and maybe even to warn you for things could happen...

GOOD THINGS...

Classic student 'night out' selfie

1. Meeting people

IS SUCH A FUN THING! Whether you're shy or really confident, making friends can be difficult, but what is meant to happen will happen and you WILL make friends with people that are going to be your LIFE LONG friends! Honestly, making friends at uni is SO fun because for one, you have a big common interest - that being the course you're studying together. Saying that, you may actually be closer to people in your accommodation that are from other courses so in that case you will be able to share and discuss your interests and find out different things about each others lives/courses etc which is also fun too! It is also exciting meeting new people because they can be from all over the world. That was what I was probably most excited about because I'm from Cornwall and it has a limited culture, so moving to London and meeting people from all over the world was such an interesting thing to me. 

2. Studying what i want

This was definitely the best thing about moving away and go to uni for me because I have been waiting to study Fashion Journalism for SO LONG and I was stuck in school/college doing courses that I did not care about what so ever, so getting to do exactly what I want and learning about what I LOVE was the biggest, most exciting thing to me. 

3. Independence

Another big thing for me was moving away from family and being completely independent. Now, you could argue I am not as independent as my friends from uni because I live with my boyfriend (instead of living in halls), but I am still very independent so it still counts. I live with Thomas, yes, so we may be dependent on each other to get this done around the house, but we are independent in our own studies, work and social life (sometimes). There is also two years between us so he has just finished uni, while I have only just started so I'm definitely going to be more independent for the next few years while he works and I study. I think moving away from family is the biggest worry for people because they're scared about doing everything themselves and missing family, friends etc, but I promise it isn't as bad as you may think and you WILL get used to it. I speak from experience because if you know me personally, you'll know that me and Thomas had a long distance relationship for two years (after not even being together a year) whilst he was studying in Kingston and I was at home in Cornwall, but we managed it and we got used to it so I'm sure you can too.  I also think moving away from family is important for self growth because then you can experience real life, how to be alone, how to manage with different people and all that good stuff, so don't be worried about moving away because it will all be OK!

BAD THINGS...

Shopping again, oops...

1. Travel 

As I live in Kingston but study in Epsom, it means I have to get the bus each morning and evening too and from uni. This was definitely a 'bad' thing for me about my first year in uni because I had to wake up an hour or two before my actual class, I couldn't socialise in the evenings after uni as it would be difficult for me to go home and come back to go back home again, and it was an annoying finance to arrange right at the beginning of the year. However, I would't have had it any other way as I was able to live in a cute flat with Thomas, so I didn't really mind. 

2. Finance
As I said above, finances are such an annoying but crucial thing about uni. Unfortunately for me, I had to sort out my bus finances right at the start of the year (although I was lucky enough to get a bus pass) which was frustrating. Then, it was time to tackle my loan...now as a fashion FANATIC you could only imagine the large list of things I wanted to buy as soon as my money cleared - something I am NOT recommending - and if I am honest, I did spend a bit (a lot) more money than I should have done from my loan, however I have learnt from those mistakes.

At the end of the day, uni is all about learning not only in the lecture hall, but about how to live, about making friends, about how to tackle finances and basically about how to do everything by yourself. But TRUST ME, it is all worth it!


To sum up, what I have learnt so far:

Irrelevant photo, but it's cute

1. Save Money
Lets just say, I did not use my money to its full potential back in September so when it came to December, buying Christmas and birthday presents, I knew that I had messed up, but I've learnt from it. 

2. Prioritising
This was important to me as I wanted to do the best I could in all of my work so I made sure that I always did work, I was always studying and writing notes in class so that I could make my assignments the best they could possibly be. I prioritised doing work over doing anything else, like going to the gym (only joking, I have just become SO lazy!), or going out on student night when I should be finishing an assignment so that I got the best results I could. I'm not saying don't go out with your friends on Saturday night because you haven't read the case study that's due for Monday (because you can always do that on Sunday evening when your hangover has recovered), I am just saying make sure to get work out of the way so that you can enjoy yourself and have fun without worrying about uni!

3. Socialise
Continuing with socialising and going out, it is important that you make the most of your first year and you make effort with friends because (as I keep saying) they're going to be your friends for the next three years, and more, so it's good to make an effort and go out for the day, for dinner or drinks, so that you can get to know each other and become really good friends!

As always guys, I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful/relatable! Please let me know if you did find it helpful and that would mean so much to me. You can catch me on here or on any of my other social media pages:

Instagram: @maeve_jarret
Twitter: @MaevesFashion
Snapchat: maeve.x 

Maeve xox

No comments:

Post a Comment